It’s the scariest month of the year and I thought I’d keep up with the yearly tradition and post what actually scares a criminologist and crime fiction author. Most scary things stay the same, but sometimes I add new ones and get over old ones.
Now, on to my list. Just in case you were wondering…
- People text messaging and surfing the Internet when they drive.
- Cleaning the cat litter box.
- Men who wear socks with sandals.
- People referred to with three first names.
- Children that know more about technology than I do.
- Gas station restrooms.
- The rapidly increasing size of the ordinary garden gopher.
- Ambient temperatures over 75 degrees.
- Sink holes.
- Actually knowing the words to most 80s songs.
- Political debates.
- Thinking it was only my imagination.
- Feeling completely comfortable and relaxed studying serial killers and crime scenes.
- Not being able to buy new shoes – more shoes – and more shoes.
- Enjoying television reruns including reality shows and cooking channels.
- Knowing when the phone is about to ring.
- Thinking that real superheroes are actually forensic scientists and cold case detectives.
- Relating to Sigourney Weaver’s character “Helen Hudson” in the 1995 movie Copycat.
- Weeds growing in my yard that triple in size every single day.
- The ticking of the clock.
- People who don’t like black dogs or black cats.
- The increasing number of endangered species.
- People without a sense of humor.
- Predatory people looking for child victims.
- Fast food French fries having the same shelf life as a Twinkie.
- Having to find a scarier book or movie than the last.
- Feeling comfortable in my own shoes.
- Not knowing what’s around every corner.
- Making this scary list.
- And finally… the most scariest thing of all… not being able to write every day.
Notice how I didn’t say swimming alone with a large man wearing a hockey mask wielding a machete waiting for me on the shore….
So, what scares you?
In celebration of the scariest month, you might want to pick up some chills and thrills from the international award-winning Emily Stone Series.
Be sure to sign up for my BOOK & CRIME NEWSLETTER to stay updated on exclusive content and updates not posted anywhere else.